June 15, 2021
Simple Seafood Chowder
A classic creamy chowder that's easy to prepare and packed with flavor. Perfect for a casual family lunch or get together with friends, it's a hearty dish that pairs extremely well with New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.
- 250g cooked shellfish (lobster, clams, mussels, prawn or crab)
- 350g white fish (such as smoked haddock, cod, bass or snapper)
- 100gm streaky bacon, diced
- 200g potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 600ml fish stock
- 300ml milk
- 4 tbsp cream
- 1 tbsp butter or oil
- 1 tbsp flour
- Pinch of allspice
- Pinch of chilli to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Handful of parsley, chopped
- Serve with fresh crusty bread and a squeeze of fresh lemon
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat
- Add the onion and bacon and gently saute for 8-10 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent and the bacon is cooked (tip: if your onion starts to brown, add a dash of water and put a lid on)
- Add the flour, stir and cook for another two minutes
- Pour in the fish stock and bring it to a gentle simmer
- Add the potatoes, cover and simmer for 10-12 mins until the potatoes are cooked.
- Add the allspice, chilli and salt and pepper
- Stir in the milk
- Add the white fish to the pan and gently simmer for four minutes
- Add the cream and shellfish and simmer for just one more minute
- Check the seasoning
- Sprinkle with the parsley and squeeze the lemon on top
- Serve with crusty bread
By clicking enter, I certify that I am over the legal age for alcohol consumption in my location.
Please note: Ground shipping is included on orders of $150 or more.