June 07, 2021
Crispy Pork Carnitas
Crispy Pork Carnitas (Mexican slow-cooked pulled pork) is a winner for any occasion!
- 4 pounds (or 2 kg) skinless, boneless pork butt (or shoulder)
- 3-4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (or Mexican oregano)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 large brown or white onion, cut into wedges
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 large oranges, juiced (or 3/4 cup natural orange juice)
- 3/4 cup coke (Original or Mexican coke is ideal)*
- 2 bay leaves
- Rinse and pat dry pork with a paper towel.
- In the bowl of a 6-quart slow cooker, add pork, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, onion, garlic, lime juice, orange juice, coke, and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours, or high heat for 5-6 hours (until the meat falls apart).
- Remove pork and shred with two forks (DO NOT DISCARD THE LIQUID!)
- Transfer the pork to a baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking oil spray (or lined with aluminium foil or parchment paper).
- Pour 1 ladle full (about 1 cup) of the liquid from the slow cooker over the pork to season. Broil for 5-10 minutes on high heat until the meat becomes golden browned and crispy on the edges.
- To Serve: Season with a little extra salt and pepper if desired. Pour over more of the slow cooker juices once the meat has crisped for added flavor, just before serving! Serve in Tacos, Burritos, or in a salad!
*Coke with cane sugar instead of corn syrup is ideal, however, you can use any coke. Alternatively, substitute with chicken broth (chicken stock).
Welcome to New Zealand Wine Navigator
By clicking enter, I certify that I am over the legal age for alcohol consumption in my location.
Please note: Ground shipping is included on orders of $200 or more.