May 06, 2021
Crispy Duck with Blackberry Sauce
We don't eat enough Duck. It's one of those things that is luxurious - but the simplest thing in the world to cook. With a fruity, savory and complex blackberry sauce you will treat your friends or date to a Michelin starred meal at home.
- 4 Duck Breasts, patted dry, seasoned on each side with a little salt. If the Duck breasts are really large you might want to cook three instead, it is a rich meat that goes a long way when sliced.
For the sauce
- 1 1/2 cups of yummy ripe blackberries
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock - this gives the sauce the fuller savory flavors to balance the sweet fruit
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a small saucepot and bring to a simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Then strain it through a sieve to get out the pips - but make sure you squeeze through all the pulp which gives the sauce body. While it cooks prep the Duck.
- Duck is super easy to cook if you know a couple of tricks. We will pan-fry it in a large heavy pan on medium to high heat. Not so hot that the fat burns, but hot enough to get it nice and crispy.
Always start cooking fat side down. The fat crisps up beautifully and tastes incredible, giving Duck that wonderful rich flavor that makes it such a sensation.
- Score the fat with a sharp knife just superficially. Don't cut all the way to the skin, you just want the outer layer nicely scored.
- Cook the duck fat side down for 7-8 minutes - you are looking for the skin to be crispy underneath and the sides of the breast to cook. The top will still be uncooked - that's the next step.
- Flip the breasts and cook on the other side for about 5 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Remove from heat and let rest under a foil tent for at least 5 minutes, preferably more.
Duck breasts are rich, so balance the dish with something lighter, perhaps a Green Goddess salad, peas, or beans.
Roasted cauliflower is also good. I love placing the breast on a bed of pureed parsnips. Drizzle the sauce on top and serve the rest on the side. Your guests will come back for more.
By clicking enter, I certify that I am over the legal age for alcohol consumption in my location.
Please note: Take advantage of our great overnight shipping rates! All 6 bottle purchases will be shipped UPS Next Day Air at a flat fee of $35 or $45 for 7-12 bottles. This is an incredible shipping rate, one to take advantage of over Summer!